Thing 30: DIY

I decided for this Thing, I would do a hodgepodge of things. First I wanted to delve into Kathy Schrock’s Guide to Everything. I have used several of her resources in the past just by stumbling across them as I was searching for something for a project but I’ve never taken the time to just look at her site to see what ideas it might generate. Some of her information is dated but it did jump start my brain to look for updated information or research covering the topics. In looking at her webpage on Information Literacy I decided to do a YouTube search for evaluating websites for research and ran across this one. It is basic but does a good job of covering the information although the narrator could use a little more umph in his voice. I love these two nutty women and their take on the CRAAP test for evaluating websites.

I was also looking at Thing 26 on Media Skills and checked out BeFunky! Love it!!! I discovered it at the same time as I was preparing a site for an Everglades research project with a small class of special ed students and was able to use it to create a couple of collages, one of which I used as the header on the mammal page of the site. The collage to the left is another I created but didn’t use for the site. It isn’t the easiest site to figure out in terms of creating new images and selecting gird layouts but with some exploration and by watching a couple of the tutorial videos, I was able to figure most of it out. Instead of a create new option, you have to save the image you are working on and then select the Reset icon on the bottom right of the screen to clear the page and start fresh – there is just something counterintuitive to hitting Reset!

ClassHook came across my radar through Richard Byrne’s blog and it seems like a great tool to have available. The site allows you to “Easily find educational videos from TV shows and movies to use in your lessons” while at the same time you can put it what it calls a “pause prompt”. Pause prompt allows you to imbed a question for class discussion within the video. The video pauses at that point and your question appears, allowing for a set time (determined by you) for the class to discuss the question. They also have some playlists for specific topics. The one for American History (1800s-1900s) is particularly good for 8th grade social studies. When I think of the amount of time teachers have spent looking for that perfect clip to introduce a topic or hook the students it makes me wish I had known about this earlier. When I shared the site with the staff here at our middle school, many of them were very excited about it. Hopefully, it will continue to grow and more video clips will be added.

As always, thanks Polly for the opportunity to learn something new!

2 thoughts on “Thing 30: DIY

1. Cool! Glad this gave you the time to dig in and find new tools and resources! 🙂

2. Great job with all the awesome posts! Thanks for sharing all your great “things”