Thing #24: Google Drawings

Google Drawings is a really great tool! Our technology teachers here at the middle school use the graphics program Canvas with the students and I have never been a fan. It is a very complex program, that even I, as a pretty tech savvy person, have trouble using. It is also very expensive and not likely to be something that students will have access to outside of the school setting. I would love to see them at least show the students some of the things you can do with Google Drawings, something that is freely and readily available to our students.

Just a few days ago I had a teacher who had a document for a project we do together but she didn’t have the original file and there were changes that she needed to make. She scanned it using our copier but that of course creates a PDF and unfortunately, we no longer have access to the version of Adobe that allows you to edit PDFs. I tried a few of the free online converters but they didn’t work for us. So… I used the snipping tool to take a snip of the page in two parts. I then opened Google Drawing and pasted the two snips into it after setting the page settings for the drawing to a standard size piece of paper. Using text boxes I could then make the text changes that needed to be added and we could then just print it out! That way we didn’t have to recreate the entire document before we have to present it to the students!

I ran across this site the other day through one of my feeds,  Recovering the Classics and I think there is a lot of potential for doing this using Google Drawings. I love that is it not a contest! I wrote to the group and asked if there is a way to submit the students’ works as a class or as a school. They responded the next day saying it definitely is! I spoke with one of our art teachers about trying this and she really liked the idea. We are going to try this sometime next semester with her Studio Art students. I’m also going to offer this opportunity to my students in MakerSpace and encourage them to use Google Drawings, specifically vector drawings as demonstrated in Joshua Pomeroy‘ excellent video demonstration.  I think this would work especially well

for those students who feel they don’t have a lot of artistic abilities, like me. The image of Snape (one of my heroes from Harry Potter) is one I created following Joshua Pomeroy’s techniques. It is not finished (I am much slower than he is) but it came out fairly recognizable.

I love the Sticky Notes templates! What fun! It is a great way to personalize your interaction with students! Using icons from The Noun Project would be such a great combo. The Noun Project is one of the few free services that I actually pay the annual subscription price for because it almost always has some icon to meet my needs and I don’t have to worry about rights or attribution with a paid membership. You can also get an add-on for it in Google so you can insert the icon within your document.

Google Drawings should definitely be part of everyone’s tool box. It really is a very powerful, yet simple Google app to use!

4 thoughts on “Thing #24: Google Drawings

1. Love the YouTube tutorial you shared. I’ll add that to the CoolTools lesson. I like his approach. And you did a great job with Snape! Bet your students will love this project.

2. The students will really love this. I’m not the most artistic, but I might give this a try and see how it turns out!